Also a heartfelt thanks go out to the beta testers who tested all the changes. Special mentions for testers Woyto, Bnpositive, Surbma, DavidCH1, TheITJuggler, kletskater who caught a number of bugs and provided us with actionable information to fix these.
This version contains a lot of changes under the hood which will break backward compatibility, i.e. once you've upgraded, downgrading will break things.So make sure you make a backup of your settings/database before upgrading.
- Major overhaul of the way the plugin deals with options. This should fix a truck-load of bugs and provides improved security.
- Major overhaul of the way the plugin deals with post meta values. This should fix a truck-load of bugs and provides improved security.
- Major overhaul of the way the plugin deals with taxonomy meta values. This should fix a truck-load of bugs and provides improved security.
- Fixed: Renamed a number of options as they ran the risk of being overwritten by post type/taxonomy options which could get the same name. This may fix some issues where options did not seem to get saved correctly.
- Fixed: if page specific keywords were set for a static homepage, they would never be shown.
- Fixed: if only one FB admin was selected, the tag would not be added.
- Fixed: bug where taxonomies which were on an individual level set to noindex and sitemap include 'auto-detect' would still be shown in the sitemap
- Fixed: bug in canonical urls where an essential part of the logic was skipped for singular posts/pages
- Fixed: category rewrite rules could have errors for categories without parent categories.
- Fixed: bug in delete_sitemaps() - wrong retrieval of needed options.
- Fixed: HTML sitemaps would sometimes display headers without a link list.
- Fixed: Breadcrumbs could potentially output an empty element as part of the chain, resulting in two separators in a row.
- Fixed: Breadcrumbs: even when removing the prefix texts from the admin page, they would sometimes still be included.
- Improved fixed for possible caching issue when
title_testoption remained set, issue #627.
- Fixed bug in
title_test_helperwhere it would pass the wrong information to
update_option(), related to issue #627.
- Fixed: shortcodes should be removed from ogdesc.
- Fixed: Admin -> Dashboard -> Failed removal of the meta description from a theme file would still change the relevant internal option as if it had succeeded.
- Fixed: Admin -> Dashboard -> bug where message about files blocking the sitemap from working would not be removed when it should.
- Fixed: Admin -> Titles & Meta's -> Post types would show attachments even when attachment redirection to post was enabled.
- Fixed: Admin -> Import -> Fixed partially broken import functionality for WooThemes SEO framework
- Fixed: Admin -> Import -> Importing settings from file would not always work due to file/directory permission issues.
- Fixed: Admin -> Export -> Some values were exported in a way that they couldn't be imported properly again.
- Fixed: Admin -> Import/Export -> On export, the part of the admin page after export would not be loaded.
- Fixed: Admin -> Various -> Removed some superfluous hidden fields which could cause issues.
- Fixed: Admin -> Social -> The same fb user can no longer be added twice as Facebook admin.
- Admin -> Multi-site -> Added error message when user tries to restore to defaults a non-existent blog (only applies to multi-site installations).
- Bow out early from displaying the post/taxonomy metabox if the post/taxonomy is not public (no use adding meta data which will never be displayed).
- Prevent the SEO score filter from displaying on a post type overview page if the metabox has been hidden for the post type as suggested by coreyworrell in issue #601.
- Improved: post meta -> the keyword density calculation for non-latin, non-ideograph languages - i.e. cyrillic, hebrew etc - has been improved. Related issues #703, #681, #349 and #264. The keyword density calculation for ideograph based languages such as Japanese and Chinese will not work yet, issue #145 remains open.
- Fixed: post meta -> SEO score indicator -> wpseo_translate_score() would never return score, but always the css value.
- Fixed: post meta -> SEO score indicator -> wpseo_translate_score() calls were passing unintended wrong parameters
- Fixed: post meta -> page analysis -> text analysis did not respect the blog character encoding. This may or may not solve a number of related bugs.
- Fixed: post meta -> often wrong meta value was shown for meta robots follow and meta robots index in post meta box so it appeared as if the chosen value was not saved correctly.
- Fixed: post meta -> meta robots advanced entry could have strange (invalid) values.
- Fixed: post meta -> since v1.4.22 importing from other plugins would import data even when the post already had WP SEO values, effectively overwritting (empty by choice) WPSEO fields.
- Fixed: post meta -> A few of the meta values could contain line breaks where those aren't allowed.
- Fixed: taxonomy meta -> breadcrumb title entry field would show for taxonomy even when breadcrumbs were not enabled
- Fixed: taxonomy meta -> bug where W3TC cache for taxonomy meta data wouldn't always be refreshed when it should and sometimes would when it shouldn't
- Fixed: some things should work better now for must-use installations.
- Added sanitation/improved validation to $_GET and $_POST variables if/when they are used in a manner which could cause security issues.
- Fixed: wrong file was loaded for the get_plugin_data() function.
- Fixed: several bug-sensitive code constructs. This will probably get rid of a number of hard to figure out bugs.
- Fixed: several html validation issues.
- Prevent error when theme does not support featured images, issue #639 as reported by kuzudecoletaje.
- The SEO Extended plugin functionality has now been integrated into WP SEO.
- Added ability to add Pininterest and Yandex site verification tags. You can enter this info on the WPSEO Dashboard and it will auto-generate the relevant meta tags for your webpage headers.
- Post meta -> Don't show robots index/no-index choice in advanced meta box if there is a blog-wide override in place, i.e. the Settings -> Reading -> Block search engines checkbox is checked.
- Post meta -> Added 'Site-wide default' option to meta robots advanced field in advanced meta box.
- Post meta -> Added an option to decide whether to include/exclude
rel="author"on a per post base as suggested by GaryJones. (Added to the advanced meta box).
- Taxonomy meta -> Don't show robots index/no-index choice in taxonomy meta box if there is a blog-wide override in place, i.e. the Settings -> Reading -> Block search engines checkbox is checked.
- Admin -> If WP_DEBUG is on or if you have set the special constant WPSEO_DEBUG, a block with the currently saved options will be shown on the settings pages.
- Admin -> Dashboard -> Added error message for when meta description tag removal from theme file fails.
- Admin -> Titles & Meta -> Added option to add meta keywords to post type archives.
- Admin -> Social -> Facebook -> Added error messages for if communication with Facebook failed.
- Admin -> Import -> WPSEO settings -> Better error messages for when importing the settings fails and better clean up after itself.
- Adminbar -> Keyword research links now also search for the set the keyword when editing a post in the back-end.
- [Usability] Proper field labels for user profile form fields.
- The New Relic daemon (not the W3TC New Relic PHP module) realtime user monitoring will be turned off for xml/xsl files by default to prevent breaking the sitemaps as suggested by szepeviktor in issue #603
- General jQuery efficiency improvements.
- Improved lazy loading of plugin files using autoload.
- Made the Google+ and Facebook post descriptions translatable by WPML.
- Better calculation precision for SEO score
- Improved 403 headers for illegal file requests as suggested by cfoellmann
- Synchronized TextStatistics class with changes from the original, this should provide somewhat better results for non-latin languages.
- CSS and JS files are now minified
- Rewrote query logic for XML sitemaps
- Changed default settings for rel="author"
- Added option to switch to summary card with image for Twitter cards
- Made several changes to Open Graph logic
- Implemented new Yoast License framework
- Added possibility to create a robots.txt file directly on the server
- Removed some backward compatibility with WP < 3.5 as minimum requirement for WP SEO is now 3.5
- Removed some old (commented out) code
- Deprecated category rewrite functionality